Upland Country Day School seeks to serve qualified students of parents who have high aspirations for their children’s success.
Students of varied racial, ethnic, religious, and socioeconomic backgrounds come from Delaware and Pennsylvania to learn amidst the backdrop of our idyllic country campus. Upland is driven by bright students and an expert faculty in small classes, combining a strong academic program with a nurturing environment enhanced by modern technology.
Upland's Liberal Arts curriculum and technological capabilities, carefully balanced with the confidence building experiences of team athletics and an enriching combination of art, music, and drama, offers a program with breadth and depth to help girls and boys maximize their potential during the most important years of their lives.
Children are at the center of the Upland Country Day School’s social, administrative, and curricular decisions. A dedicated and enthusiastic faculty understands where children are as learners and guides them to meet intellectual, emotional and physical challenges. Upland sees children as persons of primary value who are capable of becoming fully participating and responsible citizens of the community and the world. By laying a foundation of perseverance, diligence and self-disciplined work, the School, together with the family, wishes to promote each child’s commitment to a life of independent learning.
Upland embraces its existence in a global community. Hence, the composition of the student body, staffing, and curriculum should represent as much as possible the world that children will encounter. To meet this world, the School’s academic and extracurricular program will provide challenges and opportunities for a child:
● To feel known, loved and valued
● To enhance interpersonal communication skills through Harkness learning and personal engagement
● To engage in collaborative problem-solving that mimics real world application
● To embrace the social responsibility of leadership and place in the community
● To delight in the use and creativity of language through reading
● To write with passion, voice and precision
● To understand the logic and discipline of mathematics and its applications to the world
● To see the world through the eyes of a scientist as a place to test hypotheses, predict outcomes, and explore solutions
● To understand the connections and relevance of history and historical inquiry
● To experience the power and understanding that fluency in another language and culture can provide
● To be creative and explore the self in the arts
● To develop a knowledge of teamwork, the body and character through physical education and sport
● To employ technology as a tool to extend learning, creativity, problem solving, and interactions
● To become a steward of the environment and to serve others
Together with parents, Upland Country Day School seeks to create a personal environment which can make a
marked difference in children’s lives by developing habits of the mind and heart that lead to courage in their
moral, ethical and intellectual lives, and to the ability to appreciate the uniqueness of self and others.